Friday, July 18, 2008

The Airport, It Is My Life

Or at least it feels that way right now.

I made it back to the U.S., which was a relief considering the weather in Taiwan -- actually, the typhoon weakened and stayed south, so it wasn't an issue at all.

Unfortunately, once I retrieved my bags to go through customs (managing to spill the entire contents of my purse all over the baggage claim area in the process, because I'm graceful like that), I discovered that my flight to Austin is delayed. That 25 minutes may not sound like much, but tacked onto an 18-hour odyssey, it feels like forever.

I had a little girl (about age six or seven) sitting behind me on the flight playing games on the touch screen for the entire flight from Taipei to LA. It's 4am body time and she's punching away at the back of my head, essentially. I got up once and asked her to take it easy. That lasted about two, maybe three minutes, then she was back at it. I don't sleep on planes under the best of conditions, even with Ambien, but I think I actually dozed for a half hour or so. Right now it's 9am body time and my brain is pretty well fried. I keep typing words I don't intend to type.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to seeing Austin at the other end of this flight. Specifically, seeing my hubby, my boys, and the insides of my eyelids as I fall into my own bed. I owe y'all some pictures -- and hopefully some of the ones I took of the "typhoon" (or rain, really) came out too. But I doubt you'll hear from me again until sometime late tomorrow at the earliest.

I had a fabulous first trip to Asia, and even if the re-entry is a little rough, I will jump at the chance to go again. What a great bunch of peeps!

More later, when I can type coherently again. Or more coherently, at least.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

So sorry you had a rough re-entry. I was going to call you today but thought better of it. We'll talk next week.

Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite.