Monday, May 5, 2008

Learning Sign Language, Pronto

The week before my church's annual women's retreat is always, shall we say, intense. More so than any week of the year (although probably at least one week in December comes close). So that's why I was scarce last week.

I used to be in charge of the silent auction at the retreat and hold down a full time job. There is no way I could have done that this year, with the challenges of working out the details of starting my new job. I'm really grateful I wasn't the one in charge this year.

Lindi, this year's silent auction queen, did an amazing job gathering items, making baskets, and making the auction presentation much more appealing than it's ever been. That's just not my area of giftedness. I can organize; I can't decorate. Ask anyone who's been to my house. My sister and I laugh all the time about how there's a decorating gene, and it's just not present in our family.

I wish I had taken pictures of the auction setup; I sure took pictures of everything else! I have far too many to post, but if you'd like to see the retreat, look here. Note that some were taken during large group sessions (~270 women signed up), some were taken during smaller class sessions, and some were taken during late night talkfests when we were all a little punchy. There are some great ones taken during communion on Sunday, which we do in the small amphitheater in back of the cafeteria -- a truly beautiful place. None are altered with the exception of three that I cropped (originals and crops are uploaded).

Unfortunately, my sinuses went nuts on the last day, and I'm now mostly voiceless. My husband loves it when this happens -- he says I sound like a "breathy Demi Moore," and there's a little truth to that -- but this time my throat hurts and I'd really just as soon stay in bed. It hurts to talk, and anyone who knows me knows how I love to talk! I can type to communicate, but I don't know sign language (other than "thank you"). Looks like it's time to learn!

1 comment:

To him said...

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well! I really hope you otherwise left feeling renewed, refreshed, and restored.

Thanks for playing such a wonderful part of my own renewal! What beautiful eternal moments we had! :)

kw