Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Welcome to the Ranks of the Unemployed...

One of my good friends has unfortunately joined me in Laid-Off Land.

She may be an victim of what I think is one of the worst double standard in the business world: men who are assertive are "go-getters" and women are a word I'd like to not write in my blog. My friend H got on the wrong side of a company exec who saw her as an assertive female who was in her way (or at least that's my take). Being the "go-getter" that he is, he took her out of his way before there was an intervening manager hired who could protect her.

I have a few choice words to describe him too, but again, I will choose not to use them here. Suffice it to say that I don't have a great deal of respect for his business methods or his integrity.

They will be hiring five -- FIVE! -- contractors to replace my industrious friend... and the only bad thing Mr. Go-Getter had to say about her was that she sometimes didn't get her projects in on time. Anyone see a discrepancy here? No? Me neither.

Fortunately, H and I both believe that there is Someone in charge, that whatever is awaiting her career-wise is better than the job that left her. I can't wait to see what that is for her, just as I can't wait to see what it is for me.

Last night's reading in Psalms had me thinking about all this, so I will post it here.
From Psalms 86:

11 Teach me your way, O LORD,
and I will walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.

12 I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart;
I will glorify your name forever.

13 For great is your love toward me;
you have delivered me from the depths of the grave.

14 The arrogant are attacking me, O God;
a band of ruthless men seeks my life—
men without regard for you.

15 But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God,
slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.

16 Turn to me and have mercy on me;
grant your strength to your servant
and save the son of your maidservant.

17 Give me a sign of your goodness,
that my enemies may see it and be put to shame,
for you, O LORD, have helped me and comforted me.

1 comment:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Great verses, Lisa.

It's so hard sometimes, to trust that God has a plan and that He is working it out, when we're in the midst of difficult circumstances. I'm so thankful for passages like that one that remind me to trust, seek, and wait.