Monday, March 10, 2008

NYC, part 2

On Sunday March 2nd we went to a Broadway matinee. We stood in line at the TKTS booth in Times Square and got tickets to "November," a new play starring Nathan Lane, who I adore. (I only wish I could have seen "The Producers" the last time I was in NYC, but there was no way to land those tickets then.)

"November" consisted of 5 cast members and probably a lighting person. No sound -- not even microphones -- and no music of any kind. No set changes. It was pretty bare bones. The entire play ran less than an hour and a half, including intermission. Nathan Lane played the President just before an election he's almost sure to lose. Most of the dialogue is between him and his advisor and is really rapid fire, like "Moonlighting" only more so. I'm pretty sure they insulted every group it's possible to insult, so they were at least fair. It was very, very funny but also quite profane (I heard people complaining about the language on the way out of the theater). We enjoyed it. I unfortunately had a migraine and had taken meds, which make me really sleepy, which is why I don't remember more -- I was trying really hard to keep my eyes open! I kept telling myself "it's Nathan Lane... paid lots of money to be here..." but it just doesn't make much difference when you're that tired. Anyway, the funny outweighed the profanity in my book.

Before the show, we grabbed pizza at a neighborhood place, which was pretty good. Once the show was over, we headed back to Mike and Shell's place to chill out. I think Shell, who is a fabulous cook, made dinner that night. Robert went back to Times Square to take pictures after dark. I was uninterested in any more walking around -- my legs had pretty much had it by then.

Here are a few of the requisite Times Square pics. I'll spare you the ones of the Naked Cowboy (he isn't quite naked, but this is still a family friendly website -- you'll have to go see him for yourself if you're curious).

*tries multiple times to load pics; Google fails monumentally*

Sorry guys. But you've all seen Times Square before, right?

I'll hopefully post the missing pics, plus more details soon.

Oh, and my church is doing an art exhibition, which will consist mainly of large, um, things. But they've given me a small wall space to display beads. So now I'm trying to come up with beads that are consistent with an "Alive Again" sort of theme without being too Easter-y (the exhibition will run past Easter). I made a few things today... again, pics will have to wait thanks to the Google snafu. I'd love to hear what y'all think when I post them though.

And Jenny? I do need to get around to trying a basketball bead. Just haven't had a spare minute yet. I'll get there...

1 comment:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Hey, girl! NYC is my DREAM!!! I love it! I got to be there ONE DAY. I so, so hope to get back for a BIG trip! Have a wonderful, wonderful time!!