Saturday, February 28, 2009

Like I Need Another Hobby

I did something on Thursday that I've never done before.

Hmm, should I tell you or show you?

Like the bad blogger I am, I forgot my camera.  Fortunately, my friend Kate (or rather, her daughter Clare) has a camera identical to mine, and they were gracious enough to snap a few pictures to document the occasion.

Kate's mom Ruby has been making pottery for years, and she has her own studio on their property (they all live together, along with Kate's hubby Edward, which is impressive in this day and age).  This shot is of me beginning to work the clay for a small bowl.

This is the lovely Ruby.  I'm sure we're laughing because she's telling me I can come back anytime because -- unlike her daughter and granddaughter -- I take direction from her.  These ladies are all delightful, and I will definitely go back!

In this picture I'm shaping the edges of the bowl around the mold.  You can't tell, but there is a pattern on the inside of the bowl (pressed in using a cake decorating mold -- very clever!).

I'm texturing the outside of the bowl using a rock.  Ruby's had this rock for 15 or 20 years, she said, because it's perfect for a rough texture.  You find the right tool, you keep it!


And of course, the artist always signs her work.  Funny thing, you can't sign a bead or a piece of jewelry, so I don't have a lot of experience with this part of the process.


This picture is of Clare, Kate's daughter, who is painting a past piece of her own.  Clare is usually the one behind the camera -- and is a far better photographer than I -- so it was fun to turn the tables on her a bit and showcase her beautiful work.



I'll post again and show the finished results once the bowls are done (I did two of them).  They're drying now.  Next time I go, I will glaze them, and they will go in the kiln to be baked to pottery perfection.  I can't wait to see how they come out!

Side note (and Kate might kill me for this, but whatever): Edward deserves mad props for doing this for Kate last year.  She's survived two bouts with cancer, three pacemaker operations, and a TIA (small stroke).  It's not an overstatement to say it's a miracle we still have her with us.  I wonder what God has in store for her?  I know she's curious.  And I know I'm thrilled to still have my friend.  Love you, Kate!

No comments: